[nycphp-talk] Need suggestions on building a hacker trap...

Ken Robinson kenrbnsn at rbnsn.com
Tue Aug 12 08:11:58 EDT 2008

At 07:26 AM 8/12/2008, mikesz at qualityadvantages.com wrote:
>Hello David,
>
> > So what exactly does the parameter Mode do? Isn't this line showing that a
> > parameter with value got passed to a script with GET? In that case, which
> > input validation / processing do your scripts have?
>
> > David
>
>Indeed, it was a GET passed directly through the browser as a URL. At
>first I didn't understand where it came from because the "selector" is
>a link not a form. When you click on the link on the index page, it

Always, always, always sanitized input from the user. These hackers
will screen scrap web pages to get interesting looking links/forms
and then send them directly to your script trying to break it.

I usually check for certain strings, like "http://" and "ftp://", in
the $_GET and $_POST arrays and reject the attempt if they are
present. I also automatically ban the IP via my firewall program so
they can't get in again.

Ken
Ken