[nycphp-talk] Open Source CMS for PHP5

justin justin at justinhileman.info
Thu Aug 14 12:10:36 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Mark Armendariz <lists at enobrev.com> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend an open source CMS (or possibly commercial if
> worthwhile) that works natively on php5 (e_strict)and MySQL 5
> (strict).

Unfortunately most webhosts and end users are still reluctant to
commit fully to php5. As a result, CMS developers are reluctant to
drop support for php4, since they would lose a significant chunk of
their potential (and actual) userbase. Drupal, for example, won't drop
php4 support in core until the Drupal 7.0 release, and they'll
continue to provide php4 compatibility for all releases < 7.0.

I'm not saying this is how it should be. I'd love for everyone to move
to php5. But the market doesn't make that very viable right now. See
Dries Buytaert's thoughts on the whole mess here:

http://buytaert.net/php-is-dead-long-live-php

Honestly, I don't know of an answer for you, short of rolling your
own. Perhaps it's time to branch cake, expression engine or typo3 to
create a php5 strict release?

--
http://justinhileman.com