[nycphp-talk] [OT] Voting

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Thu Aug 28 13:25:37 EDT 2008

On Thursday 28 August 2008 12:50, David Krings wrote:
> But that is what an election in a democracy is supposed to be.

Not quite that simple in practice.

> The majority
> vote determines the winner, which means the popular vote and not the
> constellation of some electrocal college.

Here is the thing. We do not have *a* presidential election in this country
every 4 years. We have *50* simultaneous presidential elections every four
years, each weighted according to population. The winner of the most of those
contests wins.

Imagine a hypothetical World Series.
        GAME   1  2  3  4  5
TEAM A         1  1  1  12 1
TEAM B         2  2  3  0  2

Team A got 16 total runs in the series. Team B only had 9. So which team wins
the series? Which is the "better" team?

It's about electing the candidate with the most broad-based support across
party lines, rural/urban, poor/rich, coastal/heartland, etc. etc etc. Not
mere popularity. Because that is fine for the wolves, but why would a sheep
decide to join such a union? Why would anyone whose interests aligned with
less than 51%? They wouldn't, therefore democracy by simple majority will not
last, it will end in violence. The framers understood this.

"It was also peculiarly desirable to afford as little opportunity as possible
to tumult and disorder. This evil was not least to be dreaded in the election
of a magistrate, who was to have so important an agency in the administration
of the government as the President of the United States. But the precautions
which have been so happily concerted in the system under consideration,
promise an effectual security against this mischief. The choice of several,
to form an intermediate body of electors, will be much less apt to convulse
the community with any extraordinary or violent movements, than the choice of
one who was himself to be the final object of the public wishes."

http://federali.st/68

> Especially not since the rules
> for allocating the popular vote to the constellation of the members of the
> EC varies by state. Some have a winner takes it all approach while others
> follow more closely the will of the people.

I think you are thinking of party primaries. The EC is implemented by the the
12th amendment, so it is the same for all states.

This debate has been going on for over 221 years, I don't want to beat the
horse any more. I suggest a thorough reading of this page and all comments:

http://www.deanesmay.com/archives/005634.html#

As well as the Federalist Papers and the US Constitution itself.