[nycphp-talk] [OT] Voting

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Thu Aug 28 14:44:49 EDT 2008

On Thursday 28 August 2008 13:25, sbeam wrote:
> > Especially not since the rules
> > for allocating the popular vote to the constellation of the members of
> > the EC varies by state. Some have a winner takes it all approach while
> > others follow more closely the will of the people.
>
> I think you are thinking of party primaries. The EC is implemented by the
> the 12th amendment, so it is the same for all states.

Sorry - on second reading, you are right - the states do determine how to
allocate electors, but the process afterwards is uniform.

And to be clear, the EC is definitely anachronistic in design and could be
much improved and streamlined. My only point is that it doesn't
necessarily "subvert the will of the people" as someone said.

But in any case it's a moot point, it won't be changed. By all means put your
support into National Popular Vote compact if you disagree with it. But it's
not the evil it is made out to be.

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/pages/misc/888wordcompact.php