[nycphp-talk] html 5

Scott Mattocks scott at crisscott.com
Fri Feb 1 13:11:15 EST 2008

Allen Shaw wrote:
> I agree it's a major feature, and I wonder why it's being deprecated, as I find
> it incredibly useful (I primarily design targeted applications, not public Web
> sites).

I think one of the main arguments against accesskeys is that they
interfere with normal hotkeys in the browser and other applications. In
particular they can cause problems with screen readers and other
accessibility tools where being able to use crtl-A for an expected
operation is essential. If you override that functionality to access an
element, you have made the site useless to someone that depends on a
certain action to access a site.

Scott Mattocks