[nycphp-talk] SoapClient - Worthless?

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Sun Feb 10 09:04:56 EST 2008

> > I've been trying to use SoapClient against what I'd think would be a
> > heavily used and fairly standard WSDL:
> >
> > https://apitest.authorize.net/soap/v1/service.asmx?wsdl
> >
> > Yet, SoapClient is extremely unstable and often causes Apache to
> > seg-fault.  I haven't SoapClient in over a year because of this
(used
> > nuSOAP at that time) but I had figured SoapClient would stabilize.
>
> We have been using SoapClient since 1 year or so without any proboem.
But our
> scripts are using only 5 to 10 operations at a time. It has been seen
that
> there are various reasons for this kind of SegFault viz.
>
> # WSDL file
> # LibXML version
> # Some buggy versions of PHP like PHP 5.0 and PHP 5.1
>
> We have been using PHP 5.1.6 but with latest updates. Below link
> may help you tracing your problem.
>
> http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=35570

Thanks Zala for the feedback.

> > Apparently, it hasn't.  Out of curiosity, anyone else have these
types
> > of problems with SoapClient - or have used SoapClient successfully?

As it ends up, though, I've ended up eating these words, thanks to our
friends over at MySQL.

Through much debugging, I finally discovered that any socket connection
to a https:// URL would cause the segfault - even something as simple as
file_get_contents().

Though not well described across the web, there is a symbol conflict in
versions around MySQL 5.0.27 and OpenSSL.  Thus the segfault.  Upgrading
to MySQL 5.051a and recompiling PHP against those client libs, and the
problem mysteriously fixed itself.

This isn't the first time odd symbol conflicts have happened with
libmysqlclient.  I can't pin it down now, but I do remember a very
similar issue not long ago.  Hopefully Sun can push some testing
practices, even if it is for PHP.