[nycphp-talk] Dynamic Form Elements

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 08:23:58 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Peter Sawczynec <ps at sun-code.com> wrote:

>  programming innovation is more
>  important and should always be a larger ongoing vital concern than
>  backwards compatibility.

It depends on what the crux of your business is. If you need to create
the next great software package (be it web-based or desktop) then you
need to do product development. This is the realm where programming
innovation fits perfectly. Google is in the business of providing
people with access to (quality) content. This is why their online
tools (Docs, Maps, etc.) all fit into that overall plan. It's also why
AdWords is not strictly based on bid price. That speaks directly to
the prowess that Dan mentioned.

>  Let us evaluate this thought. Do those with special access needs want to hear:

Take that statement and look at it a different way.

Do users want to hear what technology they should have to use to browse the web?

Absolutely not.

As a webmaster, consultant, developer or designer the overriding
guideline of the web is that it is a user-centered medium, unlike any
of the other content-delivery mediums. The user has total control over
display, format and access.

So it becomes a case of market analysis and study of your audience,
which really isn't too difficult if you are using Google Analytics. Or
if you just pay attention to what is going on all around you. We are
increasingly becoming a point-and-click world, because people simply
don't want to waste time searching a website for information. That's
what they depend on Google and other SEs for.

Technical innovation is fantastic -- if it simplifies a process --
especially when it comes to the web.

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications