[nycphp-talk] Best way to develop a PHP web system?

Austin Smith asmith at observer.com
Fri Feb 22 12:29:17 EST 2008

Hoping to find something interesting and new in the Open Source community, I
downloaded Lampshade... and it's not open source by any definition I know.
Open source means you can change the source code and then distribute your
changes, the source code is freely available (not "up to the owner" whether
to distribute or not) and doesn't discriminate between uses of the software
(personal vs. corporate, government, and academic use for example).

I'm sure the software is just fine, but calling it open source (even if you
secretly mean something different by "open-source") is misleading and
potentially damaging to the vast communities that created the components of
LAMP in the first place. "Open Source" means more than just "can view and
edit the source." Lampshade is Shareware.

I would give +1 to Zend, which I've had great success with, but for a portal
site, you may have to do too much heavy lifting with Zend. I still advocate
Drupal, which will be easy to create a custom layout for, has a massive
community, and a very good book.

Austin