[nycphp-talk] version mismatch - MySQL vs. PHP MySQL client

Don Pavlish don at donpavlish.com
Sun Jan 6 12:06:03 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker, posting for the first time.  :)

I'm coding a LAMP site now where the development server is running
MySQL Server version 5.0.45 and PHP MySQL client library 5.0.41.
Everything is working great.

However, the final server we'll be deploying the site on is through a
different hosting provider.  They're also running MySQL 5.0.45, but
an older version of the PHP MySQL client library -- version 4.1.22.

I've googled exhaustively but can't find any good documentation as to
whether or not this will cause problems.  PHPMyAdmin seems to think
so -- it warns me that "Your PHP MySQL library version 4.1.22 differs
from your MySQL server version 5.0.54. This may cause unpredictable
behavior."

Thus far I've run some simple tests on the final server and haven't
seen any problems.  But I'm still concerned.  My gut feeling is that
the MySQL version and the PHP client library should be the same major
version... or am I just being paranoid?

Has anyone any experience / thoughts?

  thanks!
  - Don