[nycphp-talk] version mismatch - MySQL vs. PHP MySQL client

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.com
Sun Jan 6 13:47:18 EST 2008

Ive had this come up a few times ... for the most part if your SQL is
simple joins it will not really cause problems, the real problems are
if you are using anything like prepared statements or something meant
for mysqli extension.  http://us.php.net/mysqli (requires 4.1.3)

However since the advantages of using prepared statements (for you and
your ISP) pretty much outweigh everything else it's probably good to
be even more paranoid and use them :-)

Im sure you will get bit by something else down the road but if you
test w/ a command line 4.1.x MySQL client and it chokes on one of your
queries it would pretty much show you what will work + what will not.

Since PHPMyAdmin is more of a tool it will probably throw more admin
related queries for info and bail out.  This type of situation is
where it's nice to get a VPS setup vs. a normal ISP / shared hosting
deal since you can compile and install this yourself.

- Jon