[nycphp-talk] Why do "cool kids" choose PHP to build websites instead of Java

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Mon Jan 14 08:17:06 EST 2008

Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Michael Southwell wrote:
>
>> ah, no, these answers are exactly right, given that $a is an integer,
>> $b and $c are strings, and $d is unset. $b and $c when converted to
>> integers for the purpose of comparison in #1 and #3 turn into 0
>> (zero) so the comparisons are true. #2 compares two different strings
>> and so is false. #4 compares 0 to the integer of unset and so is
>> true. #5 and #6 compare strings to the string of unset and so are false.
>>>

> Yes, this is what PHP does. It's just that what PHP does is insane. It
> does not match any normal, logical thought process.

A content-free emotive statement.

It would be more accurate to say that it follows a set of principles you
do not share, namely, weak typing.  We would expect you as a java dude
to prefer strong typing.  Strong typing to me is inappropriate in a web
layer, and reduces my productivity.  Is it insane?  No, just
incompatible with my design goals and methods.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.