[nycphp-talk] What with you do with 4Gig of RAM?

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Mon Jan 21 23:27:44 EST 2008

> So I negotiated 4Gig of memory in my server. Hey, ya always got to ask for
> little "extra." I got 15K scsci drives and know what to do with them. The

I'm curious as to what you'll be doing with the 15k SCSIs - that would help
shed some light on how the RAM would be best used.

> question is, what do I do with all that memory?

What type of CPU(s)?

> Throw a few more shims at apc? Set up memcached? Allocate some to an mysql
> cache, if there is such a thing. Other ideas? I got it, so may as well
start
> working on making the best use of it. Suggestions?

Typically large amounts of RAM are best thrown in the database's direction.
In MySQL, it's probably not at the query cache so much, but rather at
buffers.  Which buffers?  That of course depends on your table types,
general schema layout, and query pattern.

If the database is very heavy on reads, then the query cache might actually
make sense.  If you have a lot of rows, or a competitive read/write ratio,
then it's probably more likely that the query cache will always get
invalidated, and thus you want to support the indexes and tables themselves.
Or maybe the application would be best behooved by memory/heap tables?

I take it this box will host the full AMP stack.  Unless you have tons of
code, throwing the RAM at APC probably won't help much.  If you already have
MySQL running on the same server, then I'd question the need for memcached.

If nothing else, you'll have a nice big filesystem/kernel cache - maybe
you're serving a lot of media or static files?