[nycphp-talk] What with you do with 4Gig of RAM?

Cliff Hirsch cliff at pinestream.com
Tue Jan 22 08:03:51 EST 2008

On 1/21/08 11:27 PM, "Hans Zaunere" <lists at zaunere.com> wrote:
> I'm curious as to what you'll be doing with the 15k SCSIs - that would help
> shed some light on how the RAM would be best used.
I'm just using them in a RAID 1 configuration, hoping that they will help a
database intensive application riddled with inefficiencies such as little
caching.

> What type of CPU(s)?
Single processor, dual core XEON 5148LV, 2.33GHz

> In MySQL, it's probably not at the query cache so much, but rather at
> buffers.  Which buffers?  That of course depends on your table types,
> general schema layout, and query pattern.

> If you have a lot of rows, or a competitive read/write ratio, then it's
> probably more likely that the query cache will always get invalidated
I'm thinking a query cache sounds useless for a highly dynamic application.
So big buffers sound like a better strategy. Also sounds like I simply need
to collect data to see what the actual read/write ration turns out to be
over time.

Thanks,
Cliff