[nycphp-talk] What with you do with 4Gig of RAM?

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Tue Jan 22 06:40:49 EST 2008

Cliff Hirsch wrote:
> Have I asked this already? If so, my apologies. First the vision went,
> now perhaps the memory — I’m not sure, can’t remember...
>
> So I negotiated 4Gig of memory in my server. Hey, ya always got to ask
> for a little “extra.” I got 15K scsci drives and know what to do with
> them. The question is, what do I do with all that memory?
>
> Throw a few more shims at apc? Set up memcached? Allocate some to an
> mysql cache, if there is such a thing. Other ideas? I got it, so may as
> well start working on making the best use of it. Suggestions?

I got $GB in my big box and it comes in handy for virtualization (so does the
second CPU core). Other than that, I'd put the db tables that get most hit or
that run the slowest queries into RAM. I once read that you can specify where
a table is supposed to reside (memory, disk, others?).

I put a 15k disk into my server box as well. It is a refubished Fujitsu and I
got it for cheap at a surplus store. Not only doubled that the storage
capacity, that drive is really really fast...especially after I finally
terminated the SCSI chain properly.

Other than that, you could see to get Vista on your box, that will take care
of using the 4GB RAM and you don't even have to run any applications to fill
it up.

David