[nycphp-talk] mysql slow Internet connection trickery

Allen Shaw ashaw at polymerdb.org
Sat Jul 5 08:44:50 EDT 2008

Daniel Convissor wrote:
> Where is the MySQL server each of the locations is trying to connect to?
> I'm guessing it's not in Paraguay.  Perhaps you can improve reliability
> by having the central server be in one of the hotels there.

Hi Dan,

It's a good idea, but this application is accessed worldwide for read
and write by various affiliates.  I wouldn't want to put the central
server behind this slow connection.  But one idea is, if we're going to
some kind of proxy system, we could do it on a single local server,
rather than on each user's laptop.  Doing it on the laptops also makes
my skin crawl from a security viewpoint, since it would mean putting a
copy of the data on  the laptop itself (think "Veterans
Administration"...), and it's also a tedious PITA from an
installation/maintenance viewpoint.

What might work well is some kind of headless server-in-a-box to run the
local server.  Something fairly low-profile, portable, and unobtrusive,
thus less likely than a laptop to get stolen by petty thieves (many
people wouldn't even know what it was).  This would be far better than
having to install the local application on each laptop, from viewpoints
of installation, maintenance, and security.

For this event it's by now too late for a solution, as we're already
over the hottest part of the work.  But for the future this headless
local server idea is probably the best way to go.

Thanks.

- Allen

--
Allen Shaw