[nycphp-talk] Upload progress meter

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 09:42:18 EDT 2008

> I also recommend swfupload.  Has a good deal of control over file types,
> files size and progress, and the best part is that it's all run via
> javascript (actual upload is done via swf, but the api is all js).
> http://swfupload.org/

+1 for swfupload.  It is easy to setup and does everything on the
client side.  No ajax polling loop necessary, no hidden iframes to do
multiple background uploads.

IMO, polling the server is the wrong way to do file upload progress
bars.  As soon as you have more than 1 front end server, it takes a
holy hack to make it work.

-John C.