[nycphp-talk] Upload progress meter

Brian D. brian at realm3.com
Mon Jul 7 09:55:51 EDT 2008

Does anyone else have problems with SWFUpload freezing Firefox? I'm
running FF3 on Ubunty 8.04 and when I load the SWF demo it freezes
until the file is completely uploaded.

Maybe it's just an Ubuntu problem?

-b.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:42 AM, John Campbell <jcampbell1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I also recommend swfupload.  Has a good deal of control over file types,
>> files size and progress, and the best part is that it's all run via
>> javascript (actual upload is done via swf, but the api is all js).
>> http://swfupload.org/
>>

> +1 for swfupload.  It is easy to setup and does everything on the
> client side.  No ajax polling loop necessary, no hidden iframes to do
> multiple background uploads.
>
> IMO, polling the server is the wrong way to do file upload progress
> bars.  As soon as you have more than 1 front end server, it takes a
> holy hack to make it work.
>
> -John C.
>
> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com

realm3 web applications [realm3.com]
Information architecture, application development.
phone: (917) 512-3594
fax: (440) 744-3559