[nycphp-talk] mysql slow Internet connection trickery

Rob Marscher rmarscher at beaffinitive.com
Mon Jul 7 19:02:07 EDT 2008

On Jul 5, 2008, at 10:58 AM, Hans Zaunere wrote:
> You may want to consider using web services.  Data would be stored
> in a
> local MySQL database, and then as you mention, a central server
> aggregates
> the data from all the locations.
>
> The reason I mention web services, is that HTTP is typically more
> robust
> over flakey connectivity than database protocols are.

There's that DBSlayer project that implements mysql calls over json.
I don't think it would solve the main problem of conflicts though nor
was it meant to be used like this.  But... if someone really wanted to
start some type of project, they might be able to look there to get a
jumpstart on the "web services <> mysql" part.

I used to work on Lotus Notes... MySQL replication isn't like
replication in Lotus Notes.  Kinda funny though that an older
technology like that would actually be a decent solution for this.  It
was built back when the internet connections were probably similar to
what these clients are experiencing.  I think the majority of us these
days expect people to have broadband and pity the fool that doesn't.  ;)

-Rob