[nycphp-talk] amazon aws

Rob Marscher rmarscher at beaffinitive.com
Sat Jun 7 01:41:57 EDT 2008

On Jun 6, 2008, at 9:21 PM, Larry Ludwig wrote:
> A few customers have asked this same question to our service.  Hans
> Z brings up all great issues:  I have posted a blog discussing some
> of their deficiencies:  http://www.empoweringmedia.com/blog/archives/21

Yeah... I was just talking about this with Larry.  I'm also not
convinced EC2 is the best thing for hosting pubic web applications at
this time.  There are hosting companies out there like Larry's that
provide Xen virtual servers which have a lot of the same advantages as
EC2 instances, but at a lower monthly cost.

EC2 seems a bit more appropriate for batch and parallel computing in
short bursts.  For example, anytime you upload a video to S3... you
could fire up an EC2 instance with an image that has software to
convert the video into multiple formats/sizes and then place the
results back on S3 (there's the Amazon SQS service to assist with
batch processing).  If you don't upload any videos for 10 days, you
don't have to pay anything.  If you upload 20 videos at once, you
could potentially start 20 EC2 instances and get the whole job done
very quickly (20 is the default max for an account... you can raise
your limit via a special request).

Then there's the stuff that NYTimes has been doing with EC2.  Pretty
cool:
http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/self-service-prorated-super-computing-fun/
http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/the-new-york-times-archives-amazon-web-services-timesmachine/

-Rob