[nycphp-talk] Setting up outgoing mail using Linux

Steve Manes smanes at magpie.com
Wed Jun 11 14:11:07 EDT 2008

csnyder wrote:
> Most mail-related problems have nothing to do with the sendmail line
> used by PHP. They are typically problems further downstream in the
> mail system.

A common one is assuming that the localhost mail server is working
because it accepts the mail from the application.  I see a lot of
bounces in my mail logs from web sites which ship mail from the
box-stock and unconfigured sendmail servers on localhost.  These
machines will often not be registered in DNS or will lack a valid PTR
record or will greet target server with a generic "HELO
bogus.site.name".  An increasing number of mail servers are doing DNS
checks of mail servers as an anti-spam defense.

Case in point:

Jun 11 04:13:55 jack postfix/smtpd[57160]: NOQUEUE: reject: CONNECT from
unknown[62.160.92.240]: 554 5.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot
  find your hostname, [62.160.92.240]; proto=SMTP