[nycphp-talk] mysql only host

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 10:13:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Aaron Deutsch <aaron at aarond.com> wrote:
> I always seem to have slow MySQL databases with my reseller and shared
> hosting. Is there such a thing as MySQL only hosting?  If so any
> recommendations?

Your database should be located in the same datacenter as your
application code, otherwise you are going to be in a world of hurt...
imagine doing 10 synchronous queries with 100ms of connection latency.
 If you are using something like CakePHP, your application could be
doing 100's of queries per page view.

I really like Slicehost if you want something cheap.  You get a Xen
instance starting at $20 a month, and you can upgrade the instance or
add instances with about 2 mouse clicks.

-John C.