[nycphp-talk] Charsets are still driving me nuts

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Thu Mar 6 15:10:52 EST 2008

Wellington Fan wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with using the the "accept-charset" attribute on
> FORMs?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#adef-accept-charset
>
> I read this, but I am not sure what the net result is:
> "The client must interpret this list as an exclusive-or list, i.e., the
> server is able to accept any single character encoding per entity received."
>
> So guess it's not solving the initial question, but might be part of the
> solution...?

In theory the data sent by the client should be in one of the
'acceptable' character sets.  In practice I am sure there are plenty of
clients which either don't obey this directive or ignore it altogether.

I'm not sure if it might be useful as a way of hinting to modern clients
that you would like input in utf-8 (or another character set), though I
believe that most browsers will attempt to provide form data in the same
character set as the containing page anyway.

Dan