[nycphp-talk] Charsets are still driving me nuts

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 15:31:53 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Dan Cech <dcech at phpwerx.net> wrote:

>  I'm not sure if it might be useful as a way of hinting to modern clients
>  that you would like input in utf-8 (or another character set), though I
>  believe that most browsers will attempt to provide form data in the same
>  character set as the containing page anyway.

Anecdotally this has always been the case, but come to think of it I
have no idea if it is required behavior or not.

I can imagine that there might be some mobile browser out there that
returns forms in iso-8859-1 even if the page was rendered utf-8.

Nevertheless, the mainstream browsers can be relied on to submit forms
using the character set with which the page is rendered.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/