[nycphp-talk] Passing JAVASCRIPT variables to PHP

PaulCheung paulcheung at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 15:43:33 EDT 2008

Hi Tom,

Not a problem. Here is the "Capture Client Date Routine" which I "include"
into the main PHP script.

<?PHP session_start(); ob_start(); ?>

var Days = new
Array('Sunday','Monday','Tuesday','Wednesday','Thursday','Friday','Saturday');
var Datum;
var today = new Date();
var Year = takeYear(today);
var Month = leadingZero(today.getMonth()+1);
var DayName = Days[today.getDay()];
var Day = leadingZero(today.getDate());
var Hours = today.getHours();
Hours2 = Hours;
Hours = leadingZero(Hours);
var ampm = "am";
if (Hours2 > 11)
 ampm = "pm";
if (Hours2 > 12)
 Hours2 -= 12;
if (Hours2 == 0) Hours2 = 12;
Hours2 = leadingZero(Hours2);
var Minutes = leadingZero(today.getMinutes());
var Seconds = leadingZero(today.getSeconds());

function takeYear(theDate)
{ x = theDate.getYear();
 var y = x % 100;
 y += (y < 38) ? 2000 : 1900;
 return y; }

function leadingZero(number)
{ if (number < 10) number = "0" + number;
 return number; }

Datum = ( +Year+ '/' +Month+ '/' +Day+ ' - ' +Hours+ ':' +Minutes+ ':'
+Seconds)
document.write (Datum);

$datum = Datum;
document.write ($datum);

</SCRIPT>
<?php echo('  $datum =  ' .  $datum); ?>

It was here I thought by using an include I could overcome the problem with
transfer of Javascript data to PHP.
Unless there is a simpler way I will have to swat up on AJAX

Paul