[nycphp-talk] ColdFusion vs PHP (Ruby, Perl....)

Webmaster consult at covenantedesign.com
Thu May 1 14:02:35 EDT 2008

Kristina Anderson wrote:
> Ed --
>
> My comment was solely intended to offer the theory that there is a
> reason why PHP has so much more of a market share overall than does
> Cold Fusion -- whatever that reason might be, and to solicit comments
> therein from the other people who post to this list as to what that
> reason may be.

But you  are assuming your conclusion in your premise Kristina.

"PHP has so much more of a market share overall than does Cold Fusion"

You need to prove that before anyone, including members of this list,
can even begin to look for 'the reason'.
In other words you can't ask:
"Why does PHP have a larger market share than Coldfusion?"
Unless you can demonstrate that it does.
You may 'feel' that is true, or even 'think' that it is, but that is
poor (and emotional) scholarship.
Show us some links. Give us some data. Prove that PHP "has so much more
of a market share overall", don't just declare it.
> My impression on the much larger market share is primarily based on the
> fact that there are a lot more people looking to hire PHP programmers
> than there people looking to hire Cold Fusion programmers.  Therefore,
> more companies must be using PHP.

Now that's getting better, but what is your 'impression' based on.
It's my impression that I see as many Coldfusion offers floating around
as I do PHP.
I believe that is most likely because I subscribe to both a PHP and a
Coldfusion jobs-list.however, I wouldn't say that I can deduce from that
information which language is being used more, and actually holding more
of the market.
How do you know "there are a lot more people looking to hire PHP
programmers"?
And what if "a lot more people looking to hire PHP programmers", are
doing so because they are migrating FROM it, or translating it?
> [Not only do I have 12 years as a consultant (with the concommitant
> huge volume of time perusing job postings and answering RFPs), but I
> have 3 years as a recruiter/account manager in the tech field and an
> abundant knowledge of the job market in tech, and who is looking for
> what, what companies are using what platforms, and etc. -- is this data
> not "relevant" or "scholarly" enough for your taste?]

Nope. I'm a geek, give me numbers, graphs charts and information, not
your opinion alone.
> With all due respect,
>
> Kristina

(My tone is challenging, but I mean no offense Kristina, just looking to
spurn you unto defending your assumption. =D)
-Ed