[nycphp-talk] ColdFusion vs PHP (Ruby, Perl....)

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Thu May 1 13:29:16 EDT 2008

Ed --

My comment was solely intended to offer the theory that there is a
reason why PHP has so much more of a market share overall than does
Cold Fusion -- whatever that reason might be, and to solicit comments
therein from the other people who post to this list as to what that
reason may be.

My impression on the much larger market share is primarily based on the
fact that there are a lot more people looking to hire PHP programmers
than there people looking to hire Cold Fusion programmers.  Therefore,
more companies must be using PHP.

[Not only do I have 12 years as a consultant (with the concommitant
huge volume of time perusing job postings and answering RFPs), but I
have 3 years as a recruiter/account manager in the tech field and an
abundant knowledge of the job market in tech, and who is looking for
what, what companies are using what platforms, and etc. -- is this data
not "relevant" or "scholarly" enough for your taste?]

With all due respect,

Kristina

> Kristina,
>
> If you're not sure what the market share is, why even comment; again,
> I'm concerned by your lack of scholarship; but you're pardoned.
>
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>
> http://lui.arbingersys.com/index.html
>
> Keep in mind that the TIOBE index is based on several assumptions,
which
> i think are erroneous:
> http://blog.timbunce.org/2008/04/12/tiobe-or-not-tiobe-lies-damned-
lies-and-statistics/

> Keep in mind that Coldfusion is JAVA, and results from the above
> could very well be overlapping. Whatever-the-case, there is no real
> measure of current 'market share' done in a formalized (going to each
> shop, in a standard way, and asking what they use) and complete (not
> leaving-out Government and Healthcare facilities) fashion.
>
> Although it seems there is more 'content' and information revolving
> around the string 'PHP' (and/or 'PHP Programming')
> It's most likely due to the fact that PHP is OpenSource. So
the 'market
> share' you may be personally perceiving is most likely rooted to an
> abundance of documentation/information, and not actual lines of
> code/real-world usage; hence not an actual measure of true market
share.

> -Ed
>
> Kristina Anderson wrote:
> > Pardon me for saying this, but there must be a reason why PHP has
so
> > much more of a "market share", when it comes to picking a
> > platform/language for web development, than does Cold Fusion?  ...
> >
> > Not sure what the exact percentages are or why PHP is so much more
> > widely used, but the situation is what it is.
> >
> > -- Kristina
> >

> >> David,
> >>
> >> I'm sorry I had only given you an enterprise resource (although
you

> > can
> >
> >> run BlueDragon with localhost access only for free). Here is a
> >>
> > fantastic
> >
> >> community resource, that will allow you to really stress test that
CF
> >> app: http://www.railo-technologies.com/en/index.cfm?treeID=149
> >> Some Javaheads like me think that this is even better than
BlueDragon.

http://corfield.org/blog/index.cfm/do/blog.entry/entry/ColdFusion_8_runn

<mailto:consult at covenantedesign.com>>