[nycphp-talk] ColdFusion vs PHP (Ruby, Perl....)

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:02:22 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Webmaster <consult at covenantedesign.com> wrote:
>  I do too. But I would like it quantified as well.
>
>  I believe this to be a straw man.
>
>  I will clearly list them here, as it seems you didn't follow that link
> (poor scholarship):
>  # that the number of search engine hits for the phrase "/foo/ programming"
> is proportional to the "popularity" of that language.
>  # that the proportionality /is the same for different languages/.
>  It is therefore logically unsound to deduce that the TIOBE indexes are
> correct in a truly accurate esteem.

Ed,

I think you are being a bit harsh.  Kristina's initial comment was
along the lines of "PHP is more popular than cold fusion, and that
should count for something in weighing the decision".  You then
replied to a casual comment with a grating and largely ad hominem
response.

It appears you have a lot to add to this discussion, but I would
prefer to read it minus the remarks on others' "scholarship".

-John C.