[nycphp-talk] mbstring.dll not found

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Sat May 17 12:42:29 EDT 2008

David Krings wrote:
> Michael Southwell wrote:
>>> the extension directory and the php.ini match. It still will not
>>> load php_mbstring.dll.
>>> Uhm, anyone has an idea what else to do?
>>
>> try putting another copy of it in the same directory as php.ini and
>> php.exe. And you're sure that php is using the php.ini you're
>> modifying, right?
>
> Yes, I know it is the right php.ini. I copied the php_mbstring.dll
> into the folder that contains the .exe and .ini and the problem is
> solved. Thank you very much for the help. Any idea why that works and
> having it in the specified extension directory doesn't?

It has to do with the 'dll search order' Windows uses.
Typically the order is:
     1) the same directory as the executable.
     2)  the  system  directory
     3) directories found in the 'path' environment variable

see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682586.aspx
for the complete 'run down' on 'start up' order
(in Windows you click 'Start' to say you're finished and want to shut down)

--

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com