[nycphp-talk] mbstring.dll not found

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Sat May 17 15:18:04 EDT 2008

Tim Gales wrote:
>> solved. Thank you very much for the help. Any idea why that works and
>> having it in the specified extension directory doesn't?
>>
> It has to do with the 'dll search order' Windows uses.
> Typically the order is:
>     1) the same directory as the executable.
>     2)  the  system  directory
>     3) directories found in the 'path' environment variable
>
> see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682586.aspx
> for the complete 'run down' on 'start up' order
> (in Windows you click 'Start' to say you're finished and want to shut down)

But why then do I need to specify an extension directory in php.ini if it is
not used by php.exe as the primary source for extensions? Just asking, maybe I
shouldn't worry so much about problems that are already solved.

Especially since new problems come about, such as that the php-cgi.exe crashes
often. Anyone knows if running PHP on 64bit Windows is not a good idea?

David