[nycphp-talk] one special question

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 11:16:03 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:49 AM, csnyder <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Michael Southwell
> <michael.southwell at nyphp.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is not a question about PHP but rather a question about programming,
>><snip/>
>
> I dunno, it seems overly general but not actually off topic.

I gotta agree here. From my point of view its off topic, but only
because I have sent emails in several languages and run scheduled
tasks on windows and cron jobs on unix.

Assuming this person never sent an email via a script or set a cron
job on unix, he probably has no idea that the basic methodology.
Pointing him in the direction of running a scriopt from a cron job,
instead of through the web server might be what he needs to know. If
he can't figure out cron, then he finds a unix mailing list. If he
can't get his mail script to work he posts the source and error on
this list.

If he doesn't know enough to know that he didn't ask a PHP question,
we should point him in that direction. There was a point where
everyone on this list didn't know their was a mechanism for running
jobs at a scheduled task on their operating system of choice. I
happened to be well versed in cron before ever hearing of PHP. Others
have opposite experiences.

Regards,

Justin Dearing