[nycphp-talk] one special question

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed May 28 10:49:43 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Michael Southwell
<michael.southwell at nyphp.com> wrote:

> This is not a question about PHP but rather a question about programming,
> that is, the logic of making things happen. It is therefore solvable not by
> syntax but rather by thought. I wonder whether such questions are
> appropriate for this list. Although I have an opinion on this issue, I
> refrain from expressing it here, in the interest of letting list members in
> general answer it either explicitly or implicitly, by either giving or not
> giving possible answers.

I dunno, it seems overly general but not actually off topic.

On a unix (Linux, BSD, Unix) system you would set up a cron job that
executes a php script every night to that loops through each account
and emails the next picture.

I'm not sure how you would do this on Windows but there must be a way.

It gets much more interesting if you have > 10,000 accounts or a
limited time window in which to send the pictures, at which point you
need to create a more sophisticated architecture with multiple
processes each sending to their own segment of the user base.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/