[nycphp-talk] protecting download directory in PHP app on Unix box?

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 13:26:34 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Ajai Khattri <ajai at bitblit.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008, Kristina Anderson wrote:
>
>> In the case of this project, there will potentially be several hundred
>> PDFs but no more than that, at least for the foreseeable future...there
>> are about 30 articles or less published per year by this magazine.
>>
>> So I think one static directory can work for us.
>
> Always plan to make it future-proof as much as you can. If that becomes
> 100 per year, then what?

Then in the year 2108, she will have to make changes to the code.

In my experience, this type of future proofing buys you nothing.   I
have found that tons of other problems arise before overflow issues
start to be a problem.  I did a similar thing and I just put the files
in a folder with the id.  Bandwidth and diskspace became a problem
long before a too many folder problem.  The solution was to move
everything to Amazon S3.  S3 doesn't have folders and supports and
unlimited number of objects. It turned out to be a blessing that I
didn't do something fancy with the folder naming.

Regards,
John Campbell