[nycphp-talk] protecting download directory in PHP app on Unix box?

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Fri May 30 08:33:50 EDT 2008

John Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Ajai Khattri <ajai at bitblit.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 May 2008, Kristina Anderson wrote:
>>

>>> In the case of this project, there will potentially be several hundred
>>> PDFs but no more than that, at least for the foreseeable future...there
>>> are about 30 articles or less published per year by this magazine.
>>>
>>> So I think one static directory can work for us.
>>>
>> Always plan to make it future-proof as much as you can. If that becomes
>> 100 per year, then what?
>>

> Then in the year 2108, she will have to make changes to the code.
>
> In my experience, this type of future proofing buys you nothing.   I
> have found that tons of other problems arise before overflow issues
> start to be a problem.

I will go further and say it is worse than nothing.  You end up with
code you need to test against a case that receives no real-world
pressure.  Then when you have to make real changes in response to actual
(as opposed to hypothetical) needs you have tip-toe around this code and
avoid breaking it -- even though it is not necessary!

I eventually wrote in my little book: Do not abstract against
non-existent cases.

>  I did a similar thing and I just put the files
> in a folder with the id.  Bandwidth and diskspace became a problem
> long before a too many folder problem.  The solution was to move
> everything to Amazon S3.  S3 doesn't have folders and supports and
> unlimited number of objects. It turned out to be a blessing that I
> didn't do something fancy with the folder naming.
>
> Regards,
> John Campbell
>
> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com