[nycphp-talk] protecting download directory in PHP app on Unix box?

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at altzman.com
Fri May 30 15:22:25 EDT 2008

on 2008-05-30 08:33 Kenneth Downs said the following:
> John Campbell wrote:
>> In my experience, this type of future proofing buys you nothing.   I
>> have found that tons of other problems arise before overflow issues
>> start to be a problem.
> I will go further and say it is worse than nothing.  You end up with
> code you need to test against a case that receives no real-world
> pressure.  Then when you have to make real changes in response to actual
> (as opposed to hypothetical) needs you have tip-toe around this code and
> avoid breaking it -- even though it is not necessary!

This kind of thinking is so prevalent it even has its own acronym:
YAGNI. (You Ain't Gonna Need It.)
It's at the core of just about all the agile little-m methodologies.

> Kenneth Downs

//jblatz
--
jerry b. altzman        jbaltz at altzman.com     www.jbaltz.com
thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.