[nycphp-talk] OT: Evite-Like Service

Paul A Houle paul at devonianfarm.com
Tue Nov 18 09:47:09 EST 2008

Rolan Yang wrote:
> Recently something similar was thrown into my lap. I set up a single
> web page describing the event, a paypal product button at the bottom
> to make payment, and configured the paypal to redirect to a
> confirmation page back on my site afterwards which requested
> additional information from the attendee. This process was also backed
> up by Paypal IPN to deter any fraud (no one even attempted - non
> technical crowd). If the user makes a payment but quits before
> redirecting back, at least you still have their payment and contact
> info logged on Paypal.

    I implemented something very similar to support boat reservations.
Note that Paypal/Verisign payment processing gives you a number of
people to sign up with Paypal rather than just letting them type in a
credit card.  Many vendors feel that this results in (i) more abandoned
shopping carts,  and (ii) damage to their brand,  so they use a slightly
more expensive service that's more user friendly.