[nycphp-talk] PHP mail() signup confirmation for JewFind.com does not get delivered consistently

Brian Williams brianw1975 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 10:38:24 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Hans Zaunere <lists at zaunere.com> wrote:

> > A client of mine (www.JewFind.com) is using the PHP mail() function to
> > send signup email-confirmations and it works most of the time, but
> > quite a few users have contacted them saying that they did not receive
> > the email. We discovered that Yahoo mail requires the "-f
> > sender at domain.com" header to deliver to the inbox instead of the
> > junkmail box- anyone know if there other headers that can be added to
> > make the delivery more reliable?
>
> -- Use -fsomething at somehwere.com header
>
> -- Make sure the web server's user is in /etc/mail/trusted-users if using
> sendmail/etc.
>
> -- And most importantly: relay mail through a real mail server with proper
> DNS records, etc.  Many places now check for the correct DNS records and
> listening SMTP ports to ensure it's a real server sending the mail.  Web
> servers won't pass these tests.

In my experience with Yahoo -- the biggest thing that I have seen is a
proper DomainKeys setup.

"If you're a postmaster interested in implementing DomainKeys to protect
your domain, you can find more technical details at
http://antispam.yahoo.com/ and implementation information at
http://domainkeys.sourceforge.net."