[nycphp-talk] Timing an Input Form Entry

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Sun Oct 19 07:41:56 EDT 2008

mikesz at qualityadvantages.com wrote:
> Update: I just discovered that the "robot" that is accessing and
> spamming my sites it XRumer. It hacks into gmail, gets a valid gmail
> account then it registers and spams as many Forum sites as it can find
> to "plant" illicit links so it can exploit google's PR system.
>
> Anyone know of an anti-XRumer script or detector?

Forum spamming is a typical problem. To stop that, you need to burden
your users with a captcha upon registration, or if you don't require
users to register, then burden them with a captcha upon each posting. I
suppose if you code up your own exotic form submit scheme (maybe through
javascript/ajax?) the bots may skip scanning your forms and move onto
lower hanging fruit.

~Rolan