[nycphp-talk] PHP hosting and standard tool-chain for newbie?

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Thu Apr 23 15:52:01 EDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Michael B Allen wrote:

> 1. An editor to write .php, .html, .css, .js files. I have no idea
> what people use for an editor on Mac. What's the Mac equivalent of
> Notepad? Is Eclipse good for this?

Bear in mind I have a free open source mind bent.

A lot of developers on Mac use TextMate (especially the Ruby crowd) but
its not free. Ive also tried TextWrangler which is similar to BBEdit. Im a
vi guy and MacVim is pretty good. (Advantage of learning vi/vim is that's
available on practially every platform known to man and damn useful when
you need to ssh into a server and fix something fast).

For visual editing, you might want to look at Kompozer (I dont know if Nvu
is still around - anyone?). Hopefully, in the future something like the
BeSpin project from Mozilla will bear fruit...

> 2. A way to upload / sync files. It would be great if this was built
> into the editor so that she could just make some changes, hit "Upload"
> and it would automatically sync the server with whatever files she
> modified locally. If such a thing does not exist I suppose an sftp
> with UI style program would do. I know there's something like that for
> Windows but what is the Mac equivalent?

Someone mentioned Transmit (I agree, its pretty good). Im happy with
Cyberduck (free).

> 3. Debugging tools. Firebug, Burp proxy, ...?

I use Firefox with Firebug and FirePHP. The Web Developer toolbar is a
must-install too. And I love Mozilla's Ubiquity - Ive written my own
commands for it.

--
Aj.