[nycphp-talk] ORM that uses more advanced MySQL features

Guilherme Blanco guilhermeblanco at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 14:16:39 EDT 2009

Specially for people like you, Doctrine provide a couple of CLI tasks
that can do a lot of things.

For example... you can define your models into an YAML file, and simply call:

php ./doctrine.php generate-models-yaml

It'll generate all models based on the YAML schema.
Then, simply do:

php ./doctrine.php generate-sql

And you'll have an optimized SQL file in the specified folder... or,
if you want to automatically apply the SQLs in DB...

php ./doctrine.php build-all-reload

This task will create models from YAML, execute the SQLs in DB and
also import any basic import data that is defined through fixtures. To
import only the fixtures:

php ./doctrine.php load-data

There're some people that already have some legacy code (like you) and
wants to migrate to Doctrine. The CLI command of Doctrine provide one
specific command to grab everything from your DB and generate the
models automatically.

php ./doctrine.php generate-models-db

The only issue with this command is the relations between each table,
which cannot be built automatically, since the DESC TABLE XXX may
different between all supported DBMS, aswell in the same DBMS, each
version may be different. We could not make it be built automatically.

Currently Doctrine is in version 1.1.0, we're about to release 1.1.1.
Also we'll release 1.0.9, which is our LTS (Long Term/Time Support)
version.

Manual is full of details about CLI tasks... to configure the CLI task
is quite trivial... a 15 lines scripts and you have all the power of
Doctrine at the palm of your hands.

BTW... I'm one of the core developers of Doctrine if you didn't notice! =D

Cheers,