[nycphp-talk] ORM that uses more advanced MySQL features

y2rob at aol.com y2rob at aol.com
Tue Apr 28 13:42:34 EDT 2009

 i've heard about doctrine and i am not working with it, and i love and hate it.  i think once you spend the time to set it up (minus certain quirks with doctrine migrations),  it will do a pretty decent job, but if you have a large (and i mean large) database, you'll can spend a good amount of time creating your models before you start doing actual php coding.

the point being, is if i were to start a project and if i deemed it worthy to use doctrine as the model in an mvc style project, then it's great (esp for migrations), but if i had an existing huge database and you wanted to refactor the project and wanted minimal development time with great results, i would lean more towards using a framework like codeigniter.  minimal model defining and rapid development with fairly great retrieval of data, and method chaining.

it all depends on the situation

~rob

 ps - sorry for going on the tangent