[nycphp-talk] PHP testing for a password protected folder/file

webmaster at vbplusme.com webmaster at vbplusme.com
Tue Aug 11 09:59:17 EDT 2009

Hello NYPHP,

  I have an errorpage script that checks for
  $_SERVER['REDIRECT_STATUS'] and delivers a user friendly message
  depending on which error condition it finds, works great most of the
  time. The problem is when is encountered a password protected
  folder, it delivers the 401 or 403 error message and completely
  ignores/bypasses the popup username/password window that usually
  occurs in .htaccess password protected folders.

  What test / condition do I need to use to check for if a folder is
  password protected in combination with the REDIRECT_STATUS to allow
  the popup window instead of automatically generating the 401 / 403
  error messages?

  TIA for any help. This was a total surprise to me after I deployed
  the script so I have a bit of a bind to fix it ASAP.

--
Best regards,
 webmaster                          mailto:webmaster at vbplusme.com