[nycphp-talk] Java provides???

Paul A Houle paul at devonianfarm.com
Wed Aug 12 15:59:44 EDT 2009

Ajai Khattri wrote:

> Of course, you're ignoring the fact that these have little to do with Java
> - IDEs exist for PHP too.
>
> Personally, I dislike IDEs but to each their own.

    See,  that's what PHPers,  Pythoners,  Ruby people always say...  I
did a lot of Java from 1996 to 1999 and then gave up on it for PHP.
Recently I had to finish a GWT/J2EE app  that somebody else started,
and Eclipse/Java opened my eyes.

    Eclipse/PHP doesn't do anything vi doesn't do,  except it has two
buttons you can click on to start and stop your web server.  Woooo...
I'm so impressed.  All you get from Eclipse/PHP is increased startup
time.  No wonder why PHPers think Eclipse is worthless,  because
Eclipse/PHP ~is~ worthless.  Eclipse has seriously damaged it's brand by
coming out with shovelware products for PHP,  Ruby,  Python,  etc.  They
really ought to be like the Apple App Store and ban that stuff so people
realize that Eclipse/Java is cool.

    Eclipse/Java does something different from every other Eclipse/X
I've seen.  It parses your code,  understands something about it,  and
helps you.  For instance,  if you write

    objectInstance.AMethodThatDoesNotExist()

    a little symbol appears on the side of the screen:  click on it and
it will offer you choices:  for instance,  it will correct typos if you
type something that is almost like an existing method.  You can create
the method with one click,  or you can change the access level of the
method if you're not currently allowed to access it.  The UI is good
enough that it feels like a help,  not a hindrance.  The IDE highlights
methods and variables that don't get used;  there are at least 20
different automated refactorings that make changes (like pushing methods
up & down a class hierarchy or renaming methods) automatically.  Yes,
you can just click on the definition of a method,  class,  or variable,
type in a new name,  and it gets changed everywhere...  In seconds,
without ever making mistakes.  All of that helps compensate for the
additional artifacts that you need to write Java.

    Eclipse/Java also has a debugger that ~works~.  There are a lot of
reasons for it,  but I've never been able to build a PHP debugging
system with a PHP IDE that really works.   No more having debugging
"echo" statements winding up in production code...

    Visual Studio/C# is maybe 50% as good as Eclipse/Java,  and the
ReSharper product from JetBrains gets it up to 90%.