[nycphp-talk] Java provides???

Paul A Houle paul at devonianfarm.com
Wed Aug 12 16:55:11 EDT 2009

Elijah Insua wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you are talking about using eclipse as a text editor?
> There are a couple plugins that make eclipse intelligent about your
> php project.
>
> PHPEclipse does do code hinting, I believe PDT does as well.  Not to
> mention netbeans with its PHP Plugin, or how about Zend Studio /
> Komodo / VS.PHP.  They all have code hinting/"intellisense"

    Code hinting doesn't count for that much.  I type fast,  I know the
built-in PHP methods like the back of my hand,  and these things can't
understand the classes and functions that I write well enough to be
useful for artifacts that aren't part of the language.

    To be fair I make matters worse by depending on heavily on
autoloading as well as computed file, method,  function and class
names.  A useful PHP IDE for me would need to not only understand plain
PHP,  but also be programmable w/ rules to describe the naming
conventions used in my framework.

    There's a world of difference between the gimmicks in the PHP
editors I've seen and what Eclipse/Java does,

> there are two debugging "systems" you can use with php.  XDebug and
> DBG, PHPEclipse and Netbeans/PHP both have support for this.
>

> http://www.netbeans.org/features/php/

    I know.  I've never gotten either of those to work effectively.
There's always been some problem,  like the plug-in wouldn't build on
the target machine or it would built but cause Apache to crash,  or
there was a firewall in the way.  If I was getting paid to screw around
with debuggers and write patches and all that I might be able to make it
work,  but I've found that Java debugging and C# debugging just work...