[nycphp-talk] Java provides???

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Wed Aug 12 18:35:30 EDT 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Paul A Houle wrote:

>     a little symbol appears on the side of the screen:  click on it and
> it will offer you choices:  for instance,  it will correct typos if you

Syntax coloring usually tells me Ive mistyped and I see the typo right
away. I dont want to waste a few seconds looking at messages and/or
popups..

> type something that is almost like an existing method.  You can create
> the method with one click,  or you can change the access level of the
> method if you're not currently allowed to access it.  The UI is good
> enough that it feels like a help,  not a hindrance.  The IDE highlights
> methods and variables that don't get used;  there are at least 20
> different automated refactorings that make changes (like pushing methods
> up & down a class hierarchy or renaming methods) automatically.  Yes,
> you can just click on the definition of a method,  class,  or variable,
> type in a new name,  and it gets changed everywhere...  In seconds,
> without ever making mistakes.  All of that helps compensate for the
> additional artifacts that you need to write Java.

My dislike of IDEs has little to do with the features, but more to do with
the fact that *for me*, having to move my hands away from the keyboard to
click the mouse buttons is an annoyance and a waste of time. This is why I
learn all the keyboard shortcuts and add utilities that give me stuff I
cannot normally control from the keyboard (like switching to console
Quake-style). I use a Mac all day and use the mouse plenty, but when Im
in the zone coding its just me and the keyboard.

>     Eclipse/Java also has a debugger that ~works~.  There are a lot of
> reasons for it,  but I've never been able to build a PHP debugging
> system with a PHP IDE that really works.   No more having debugging
> "echo" statements winding up in production code...

And you've probably never used XDebug or FirePHP.

--
Aj.