[nycphp-talk] Advice on OOP & Frameworks

Guilherme Blanco guilhermeblanco at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 11:36:26 EDT 2009

It really depends on what you plan to do.
I'd suggest you Symfony and Zend Framework, but each have different
approaches and different purposes.

Symfony is de-facto a framework. This means all CRUD stuff is
automagically generated to you. I'd suggest you to use Doctrine as ORM
tool to use as part of model layer. It's a great framework, extremely
easy to get basic stuff running, but quite difficult if you require a
higher level of granularity.

Zend Framework is a class library that can easily act as a MVC
framework. This means you're able to create any type of application
using a standard and WELL organized way to build it. I'd suggest you
to use it for not CRUD applications (which means admin with list, add,
remove, edit for each entity). It is quite easy to change source to do
what you want,but it may also require little more efforts to get
things done first.

I have karma on both projects and I already used both frameworks. On
current project, I work with Zend Framework.

Cheers,