[nycphp-talk] Advice on OOP & Frameworks

Paul M Jones pmjones88 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 21:12:10 EDT 2009

On Aug 23, 2009, at 10:36 , Guilherme Blanco wrote:

> It really depends on what you plan to do.

I believe this is well-intentioned but misguided advice.  I assert
that it more about "how you like to work" than it is about "what you
plan to do".

You can do pretty much the same things in one framework as you can in
another.  Some particular tasks may require more workaround effort
than others in each different framework, but none of them will prevent
you from doing any particular task.

What you *cannot* do is change the fundamentals of how the framework
wants *you* to work.  Each framework makes assumptions about how you
should structure your approach to the work you need to do.  Each one
imposes a different kind of structure to your work.  Once you know how
you like to do things, the best framework for your style of working
will become obvious after you examine them.

For an expanded take on this theme, you may wish to read my article
from last year's PHP Advent, "The Framework As Franchise."

   http://phpadvent.org/2008/the-framework-as-franchise-by-paul-jones

Hope this helps, and good luck. :-)

--

Paul M. Jones