[nycphp-talk] Advice on OOP & Frameworks

Yitzchak Schaffer yitzchak.schaffer at gmx.com
Mon Aug 24 10:56:23 EDT 2009

Mitch Pirtle wrote:
> I like both styles of frameworks for different reasons, and there are
> emerging projects like Kohana (really cool!) and Silverstripe/Sapphire
> that have modern approaches. Both merit a serious gander, IMHO.

I've developed one major project (in progress) and one smaller one in
symfony, both "standard" MySQL-based apps, the major one having (I
think) a complex data model & business logic.  It's been great for us,
and good documentation, too.

I recently worked on a project to build a new frontend on an ancient
open-source digital collection management system.  Because this project
has its own peculiar data-storage mechanisms (not your normal
database-backed system), I looked for something more open-ended, and
ended up going with CodeIgniter.

I found the PHP4 mix of quasi-OOP and magical function calls out of thin
air [e.g. get_instance() ] to be a bit bizarre.  It was only in the
course of working on this project, and identifying certain issues in
developing it, that I was prepared to read Zandstra's PHP Objects and
really start to "get" the OOP patterns philosophy.

I then heard about Kohana, which is a (more?) strictly OOP, PHP5 port of
CodeIgniter.  This answered my problems with CI's quirks; now, armed
with my enhanced OOP understanding and Kohana, I have in the plans to
rewrite my app in Kohana, when my shop's schedule allows.

--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager
Email yitzchak.schaffer at tourolib.org