[nycphp-talk] Working with designers

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Thu Aug 27 10:43:26 EDT 2009

At 3:05 PM -0400 8/26/09, lists at nopersonal.info wrote:
>That is IF they even have enough sense to ask. Most times it's more like
>a demand: "I need to do X, Y and Z by the end of the month, but I have
>neither the time nor the desire to learn anything technical. Tell me how
>to accomplish this ASAP!" Umm...sorry, my magic wand is in the repair
>shop, so I'm afraid I can't help you.
>
>Bev

Bev:

I know what you mean. For me, clients basically fall into two groups:
a) Those who tell me what they want; b) And those who tell me how to
do what they want. I work well with (a), but have problems with (b).

When it comes to teaching (I do teach at college level), there are
very few students/clients who fully realize all that's involved in
developing a web site. Many think, as I've been told "It's easy -- my
son learned HTML in high school" while they are totally clueless. The
most problematic students/clients are the ones who have some
experience with HTML and think that's all there is.

Here's a couple of links that I often tell clients to review:

http://sperling.com/web-developer.php

http://sperling.com/four-things-clients-should-know.php

Furthermore, the number of actual web developers out there who do
know how to program in all the web languages (i.e., namely html, css,
javascript, php, mysql, et al) to create a truly functional web site,
are very few.

And lastly, none of this is static. I spend time every day learning
something new -- the web is constantly changing and keeping up with
it is a daily challenge. I was quoted a long time ago as saying:

"I've learned something new every day of my life -- and I'm getting
damned tried of it."

And that hasn't changed much.

Cheers,

tedd