[nycphp-talk] Working with designers

lists at nopersonal.info lists at nopersonal.info
Wed Aug 26 15:05:15 EDT 2009

tedd wrote:
> Me too -- I'm a one man band combining graphic design, html, css,
> javascript ajax, php and mysql all rolled into one while observing best
> practices, unobtrusive and semantic code, and addressing W3C compliance
> and accessibility issues.
>
> In other words, there's a lot to know to get it right. I can see how the
> division of responsibility can become blurred in a team environment
> while working on large projects. Fortunately for me, my projects don't
> normally exceed $20k and that appears to be a nice cut-off for me.
>
> In my experience, projects that are larger can go to a team, those
> smaller can be handled by one person.

Good for you for being able to do it all! There is indeed a lot to know
to get it right. I don't usually think about it until someone walks into
a forum and says, "I want to do web design. What steps do I need to
take?" the first thing I tell them is that they need to be insatiably
curious, love learning new things, make Google their best friend, and
learn how to ask questions the right way.

That is IF they even have enough sense to ask. Most times it's more like
a demand: "I need to do X, Y and Z by the end of the month, but I have
neither the time nor the desire to learn anything technical. Tell me how
to accomplish this ASAP!" Umm...sorry, my magic wand is in the repair
shop, so I'm afraid I can't help you.

Bev