[nycphp-talk] Dynamically Add Links to Text

Petros Ziogas petros.ziogas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 06:00:05 EDT 2009

I would just like to mention a point of failure in that automated proccess.
I had to deal with this in a previous project so it's quite fresh.
What will happen if:

e.g.
There are 3 articles. Article A is titled "History of America". Article B is
titled "Glorious History of America". In article C there is this text "The
book is talking about the glorious history of America". If you run an
automated proccess and the test for article A comes first then the text will
be  "The book is talking about the glorious <a href="/id1111/">history of
America</a>" and the next test will fail.

If you run a test for article B first the text will become "The book is
talking about the <a href="/id2222/">glorious history of America</a>". Then
if you test for article A it might end up being "The book is talking about
the <a href="/id2222/">glorious <a href="/id1111/">history of
America</a></a>"

The possibilities of such procedured practically ruining your content are
endless. If you want to dive into tag nesting and html validation you will
be opening another whole.

Also what will happen if an editor want to insert this "I loved the book <a
href="LINKTOAMAZON">George Washington and the Glorious history of
America</a>." and there are articles with titles using "George Washington",
"Glorious history", "History of America", "America"?

I think you get my point...

What I have ended up with is human editors. Not manually editing the links
of course. A bot proposes edits all the time and an editor decides what
changes to accept and what to reject. Of course the robot should be clever
and propose changes that make sense and not repeat the same propositions all
over.

It's a challenging task but that's why we are here, right?

Petros Ziogas
http://www.royalblue.gr